Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Week Four

Hello there!
This week was a short one, but my lab partners and I kept busy by looking at our gram staining slides through a microscope. This will help us get closer to identifying the type of microbe growing on the plastics. We were looking to identify the type of bacteria based on color and shape. Characteristics that we took note of were, pink/red or purple color and also whether it was a coccus, bacillus or other shapes. Next week, we'll bring our information together and make a conclusion based on our results. 
I was also able to learn how to make agar plates. Thankfully, Josh and Amber were able to walk me through it. Below is a picture of the mixture in an Erlenmeyer flask, right before it was brought to a boil. I didn't realize how time consuming it was to prepare these, but overall it was nice familiarizing myself with a different parts of the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment